Saturday, April 19, 2008

Our long week at the hospital


Connor hated his nasal cannula (for his oxygen) and he hated his IV. You can see that he is trying to take it out.

I think Connor is thinking either, "no more pictures" or "can we go home yet?"

This is what we did most of the time while in the hospital. It was kind of nice, because normally he is too busy to let me hold him.

Last Tuesday night, Jason and I decided that we needed to take Connor to the emercency department because he was having trouble breathing, had been throwing up and had hardly been eating since the Friday before. He had also been having high fevers and had an eye infection. (Monday I took him to the pediatrician's and they said just watch him and gave him a prescription for antibiotics for his eye infection.) As soon as we got to Primary Chidren's they checked Connor's vital signs and his oxygen was low, so immediately they put him on oxygen. Then they put in an IV and started fluids. They admitted him about 2:30 am to the Infant Medical Unit. (Luckily for me I only had one more day of clinicals that was on Wednesday, but after talking to my professor she told me not to worry about going.) So after they did some blood work and a test of his mucous for a viral panel they determined he had metapneumovirus, which is a lot like RSV. They also said he had ear infections in both ears. He really was miserable. Poor kid! On Thursday and Friday I had to go to school for a couple hours and Jason had to go to work, and I am so thankful that my mom was able to go to the hospital to stay with Connor while I was gone.
By Friday morning Connor was off the oxygen. The only thing keeping us there, was that Connor was not taking enough liquids by mouth, so they could not take him off the IV fluids. Friday afternoon the dr. said if he can drink enough fluid by the morning, there is a good chance he will go home. Jason and I were trying to give him as much fluid as we could, but if you have a 20 month old or know one, you will know that it is really hard to get them to do anything they don't want to do. (We had been sleeping at the hospital every night and we were ready to get a full nights rest in our own bed and so was Connor.)
Finally Saturday afternoon Connor was discharged from the hospital. I really thought we were never going to get home, it felt like the LONGEST week ever. Connor is doing better, but not quite 100% yet. We are all SO glad to be home. At times like this I am especially grateful for good family and friends and for their support.


15 comments:

TC Jolley said...

Elisa, this is TC Jones! Hi! I saw your comment on Milli's blog and wanted to come see your family! And you guys are adorable... Conner is so cute, I'm sorry he was sick. Anyway, does Jenny have a blog? I miss her! If not, we need to talk her into starting one! Anyway, you are as beautiful as ever! Come stop by my blog when you get a chance :) Tell Jenny HI!

Kip and Lindsay said...

Jas and Elisa! Ah... that is terrible! Poor Connor, he has had some rough times with being sick! I'm so sorry that happened. Is there anything we can do? Are your finals this week? Please let me know how I can help if you need it. I love you all so much! :)

Janette said...

Elisa, oh man that is hard. I am glad conner is feeling better and everything went ok? hope you are doing well too.

Jill said...

Wow!! Little late into RSV season huh? That's too bad Elise! I'm glad he's doing better. You still looked beautiful at the hospital which just isn't really fair now is it? :) So...sounds like you're going into nursing or something? I am too!! I'm going to start applying for programs anyway...any pointers?

E Winzeler said...

Are you kidding hun? I am so sorry! I had no idea, I just assumed you've been busy with school and all. That breaks my heart, I just love Connor. I hope things are getting better and better everyday for all of you. We'll be thinking of you and we love you guys! Let me know if I can help in anyway. Give Connor a hug and kiss from us!

The Ceder House's said...

Elisa, I am so sorry your family had to go through that. Especially so close to graduation- of course something happens when you are so close! I am glad he is doing better and you were able to go home!

Andrus Family said...

Oh my goodness, that sounds awful. I'm sorry to hear your little one was in the hospital for so long - that is no fun! Hope you guys are doing okay now.

Chas and Ashly Johnson Family said...

Oh my! I can't believe it. That sucks so bad. I am so sorry. Since I have become a mother my biggest fear is a sick child that needs to be hospitalized. Well I need to call you but I will wait for a few days and let you recoup. I am so sorry. Glad you could get out of clinicals though. That is so nice.

Stephanie said...

I'm so sorry to hear that the doctors appointment you told us about turned into a week in the hospital! I'm glad to hear he is doing better though.
It was so good to see you and your cuteness really does make me jealous :)

uvtcharl.blogspot.com said...

Whoa, that sounds like a huge ordeal! i'm glad he is better. Are you so excited to almost be done with school!!! I bet you were a good little nurse for your little man.

Jenn said...

oh those pictures are so sad... I'm glad connor is doing better. It sucks when our babies are sick, but it's nice to get a long snuggle in if we have to go through it.

Tiffany said...

Hey girl, I just went private on our blog so e-mail me your e-mail address so that I can send you an invite so that we can still keep in touch! Glad to hear Connor is doing well - it is seriously the worst when your kids are sick I hate it and it's so scarey! tdrury14@yahoo.com

E Winzeler said...

It was so fun getting together tonight...I miss you! Congrats aon finishing school wonder woman!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Elisa! Do you remember me? We went to school together years ago! Anyway, your family is adorable!
What a sad story about your little guy!!!
How are you these days???

ChicChat said...

Don't you just love blogging?! Your blog is really cute. You look pretty hot in that family picture! Ü Love ya!
Camille